Monday 26 March 2012

What To Do With Frozen Cranberries?!

In a wave of optimistic crafting plans before Christmas I bought a box of frozen cranberries, with a view to making some cranberry and clementine marmalade for my Christmas hampers. Needless to say, this was one 'make' too far, and the cranberries remained in the freezer over Christmas and beyond into spring.

In a recent audit of the freezer I came across the cranberries again, and started to research what I could possibly do with such a large box of the tart fruit, which I had no desire to eat with yogurt or in smoothies, as the packaging suggested. A recipe for cranberry walnut loaf had me intrigued (perfect for pre- and post-run snacking, as well as for a midweek lunchbox treat), and in my usual style I chopped around the original recipe a bit to make it a bit healthier and a bit more substantial. The results were, to my surprise, a resounding success!!

Wholesome Cranberry Walnut Loaf

1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup sugar (I was going to replace this with honey, but I'm glad I didn't!*)
3/4 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup frozen cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup orange juice
Extra cranberries to decorate

Simply mix the dry ingredients then add the wet, stirring as little as you can bear. Turn into a loaf tin, dot the top with a few extra cranberries, and bake at 175C for 50 mins.


Perfectly delicious, and healthy too!

Awful photo, yummy cake!




But I still had half a box of half-frozen cranberries!


So I made a simple white loaf, and threw them in during the first kneading stage. The whole kitchen was covered in pink juice and flour, and the dough was a sticky wet wreck, but with Daniel on hand to add extra flour as I worked the dough, I finally got a perfect consistency. And, despite my pessimism it worked - perfect white bread with tangy cranberry morsels!




Frozen cranberries are back on the shopping list!





*Though next time I might give it a go, and sprinkle sugar on the top

1 comment:

  1. Thanks or sharing the recipes, may have to give the cake a whirl at some point.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete