Wednesday 14 October 2009

It All Begins Again...

I love waking up too early. After a late night, I was allowing for a lazy 8:30 wake-up call this morning, but at 7:30, my mind was racing with the day behind me and the day ahead of me. So I curled up with my book and enjoyed a leisurely chapter before breakfast :-) Now that course-reading will become a large part of my day-to-day routine, I fear that reading for pleasure will become something I no longer want to do. Hopefully there will be more opportunities like this morning, when I don't want to get up but I do want to occupy my mind.

Already my life is turning back to the way it has been for the past 4 years: the tasks ahead constantly in mind, my never-ending to-do list, making use of every empty minute with necessary daily tasks, and biscuits! I never feel the need for biscuits or chocolate unless I have a lot of reading to do - at times involving a heavy reading lists, a pack of M&S cookies and a large mug of tea is the only thing to help me through.

I'm so excited to be doing more linguistics, and the theme of my reading in phonology is pointing directly to where my interests lie. I'll be spending the year studying the cross-linguistic similarities and differences of the phonological development in infants. This means lots of languages, lots of transcribing, lots of interesting linguisticky ideas to get my teeth into. I just wish I'd done more preliminary reading, but I suppose that was inevitable ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment