Friday 31 December 2010

2010: A Year Packed With Challenge

Thinking back on 2010, it's hard to think of something that I didn't do. I don't think it would be arrogant of me to say that I achieved a lot this year, accomplishing many personal, physical and academic challenges. I'm sorry that 2010 is drawing to a close as the year has taken a very natural course; I haven't really searched for anything this year. I didn't make any plans or any sort of 2010 to-do list, I'm not even sure I had a resolution; everything was taken in my stride, and somehow I'm at the other end of the most challenging, exciting and life-changing 365 days without having planned to be here!

The most obvious developments over the past 12 months have been in my personal life. I'm climbing what appears to be the right career ladder for me, sharing my life with someone awesome and living in the home I always dreamed of. But the smaller steps to getting here have been the biggest lessons and challenges; passing my MA and loving every minute of getting there, presenting my research at a conference, getting my work published (eeek! More on that soon!) - realizing that I am capable of doing anything I put my mind to. Climbing mountains, running races, cycling miles - challenges that neither me nor anyone who knows me would have thought I'd be taking on only a few years ago!

Of course it's easy to see the amazing sparkly bits of a year, but 2010 has certainly had its downs and it would be unfair of me not to acknowledge these. There has been some self-doubt, some exhausted tears, a knee injury, a couple of arguments, long periods without any money and two bouts of freezing weather. I'll never forget the Big Freezes of 2010, I'm sure, but this will always be the year that I did awesome stuff, tired myself out and enjoyed the aftermath of doing so!


Snapshots of 2010

Cycling along Connemara's costal paradise

Irish mountain adventures in the sun

Being overwhelmed by ideas

My Dad's face as I crossed the finish line

Lemonade after completing the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge

Local Lakeland Ale after surviving a harrowing trek!

The most remote hot chocolate of my life, and my longest period without a shower!

Blown over by gales, before it got serious

Sitting by the sea with Daniel after my first ever 50-mile cycling trip

Racing around York with Daniel and my Dad

And 2011? I'm hoping to settle next year - to secure my currently insecure job, to find balance and prioritize my time with a little more care. Apart from that, I'm ready to jump in head-on, a little apprehensive about the half marathon that is quickly approaching in January, but determined not to let it put a black mark on the start of the year!

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you a wonderfully happy and fulfilled 2011.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year!

    You have achieved a lot!
    We want to do the 3 peak challenge next year!

    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That was an amazing year you had!
    Here's to 2011. Happy New Year, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've certaily achieved wonderous amounts this year - and I've enjoyed reading about every single moment. Wishing you and yours a very happy 2011 - here's to the next Jumbleberry chapter ;-) x

    ReplyDelete