Sunday 15 May 2011

Recovery Sunday

It's been a weekend of amazing highs, followed by sorry slumps. Today has been spent in recovery after an amazing charity bike ride yesterday, during which we conquered hills, 'walls' and weather that we never would have wished upon ourselves.

I like the idea of recovery. I always look forward to the day after, during which I always plan to sit drinking tea, reading, snoozing and gently letting the day pass before me. Of course, it never happens that way, for various reasons.

Today we've been in a sorry state with ourselves; feeling blue from our head to our toes, feeling really tired and achey, and suffering the inevitable slump that comes after such euphoria. I spent most of the day (after a glorious lie-in followed by an equally glorious breakfast) wandering aimlessly, not really knowing what to do with myself. I baked some delicious bread rolls but, having consumed a whole week's worth of carbs yesterday, I couldn't really bring myself to enjoy them, even when doused in butter. It took me until 6:30 in the evening to really find my day's flow. As usual, it started with some chopping, and then some stirring and some seasoning. It was served warm in a bowl, with one of my fresh bread rolls. And it was perfect.



Sweet potato, lentil and coconut soup

Serves 4

1 onion, chopped
4 sticks celery, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup red lentils, washed
1.75l stock
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp curry powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 small tin coconut milk
Salt and pepper

Fry the onion and add the celery, sweet potato and carrot. Season, cover and leave to heat through. Add the lentils and stock, then stir in garam masala, curry powder and cayenne. Simmer for 40 minutes until everything is tender and the whole house smells of spices. Blend and then stir in the coconut milk.

1 comment:

  1. Well done on completing the bike ride, it certainly sounds like it was an experience.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe I think my 3 would like that.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete