Thursday 24 February 2011

Lovely Things

It is before 7pm on a Thursday evening and I am sitting in my dressing gown drinking gin and tonic. I have had such a testing day; I may have been in tears intermittently since 11am. Now, sitting here all cosy with a glass of gin, I feel at peace, content, aware of the lovely things that life has to offer even when life sends shed-loads of lemons*.

Some other lovely things that have been carrying me through the tough bits lately:

  • At the moment I am leaving the house at exactly the right time to catch the dawn chorus. This is a stunning treat; it makes me fizz delightedly inside.

  • Hot showers. Someone amazing once told me that there is no better fix for sadness then a hot shower. My showers are so long right now that I may well dissolve soon; I justify this less-than-ecological indulgence with the fact that I use natural soap and shampoo...

  • Pyjamas. I love pyjamas - I would wear them all day if I could. It's a good job that Daniel thinks I look cute in my PJs as I put them on almost as soon as I arrive home. I do have some rather gorgeous night attire though; I'd spend my money on PJs over clothes any day!

  • Marmite on toast. Because sometimes, all I want and need is buttery toast smeared with loads of Marmite. And it hits the spot every time.

  • Early nights. 8:30pm is now a perfectly acceptable time to curl up in bed. With a Horlicks.


*actually, if life had sent me lemons, I'd be enjoying a nice lemony wedge of one in my G&T right now. But no, simple G&T will do just fine.

5 comments:

  1. Yum... Gin and tonic. I recently discovered that I like it very much, we should definitely have a glass together at some point this year ;-)
    Love, Annika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all these lovely things are giving you the comfort you need.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your tough times. It does sound like you have the perfect strategy for dealing with it though, I hope all those things bring you lots of comfort. And I completely agree about the pyjamas. So much so that I have "day pyjamas" for wearing around the house and "night" pyjamas for wearing in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time at the moment - hoping you get a U-turn soon, everything does happen for a reason, even if it doesn't seem so at the time. Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely sounds like things are hard at the moment - and I'm so sorry to hear about the job ;-(

    The universe will have something better in mind for you...for sure!

    That meal out looked gorgeous!! It reminded me of the time I went to a food evening at our town hall. It was cooked by top chefs from the local area - 8 courses in all - with a wine for each course! let me tell you - I left that place - not full nor drunk - just perfect! A sign of a good meal and evening methinks!

    Hang on in there sweetness - Al

    ReplyDelete