Monday 8 November 2010

Soup Sundays: Daniel's Favourite Yet!

"I think this is my favourite soup yet!!" Daniel, November 2010

When I surveyed the contents of our fridge/veggie box on Sunday morning, I realized that we didn't have anything of special excitement with which to create a post-cycling soup extravaganza. There were loads of sweet potatoes and loads of carrots, and there's always lentils, of course, but however reliable a sweet potato and lentil soup may be, it's not really the idea of my soup Sundays - I like to experiment with my soup skills these days!

My Mum regularly cooks a host of wonderful soups, and I knew that red pepper and sweet potato soup is a regular fix in her kitchen, so I scoured my cookbooks for some inspiration of that sort. As luck would have it, I happen to have stolen the recipe book from which my Mum took this recipe, and so I was set to create something of reliable tastiness!

I must say, I was reluctant to make a red pepper soup in November. This is the season for squashes and parsnips and potatoes, not light summery vegetables that pass through you like shadows, barely touching the walls of your stomach. So I altered the recipe slightly, leaning the ingredients towards a more filling and comforting meal suited to winter cycling days and cosy evenings with a blanket and a book. Et voila! Sweet potato and red pepper soup - orange, as my soups almost always are. It went down an absolute storm - we were almost fighting over the remaing soup for a second bowlful - and served with amazing spelt buns this was the ideal Sunday evening tea, like a big cosy weekend cuddle to round everything off perfectly!

Sweet potato and red pepper soup

(should probably serve four but we were struggling to serve two!)

2 small onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, cored and chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Fresh chopped basil to taste

1. Fry the onion in a large saucepan until soft and add the remaining veg. Fry for a couple of minutes.
2. Season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and turn the heat down to low. Leave for 5-10 minutes to soften.
3. Add the stock and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potato is soft.
4. Blend, then stir in the basil and heat through again.



3 comments:

  1. Oh look at how delicious that soup looks!
    So yummy.
    And I appreciate how full of vegetables it is.
    Thank you!
    Interesting ingredients. I might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! And simple to make too. I think I'm going to try it this weekend. I also want 'a big cosy weekend cuddle' in the form of soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis looks yummy - i bet the basil is so perfect in it - and the spelt buns look fantastic too. Three cheers for soup and bread!

    ReplyDelete